Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Livestrong Day



October 2, 2012 is Livestrong Day, a day when pet bloggers join to show support for those fighting cancer, and to honor those we have lost to cancer.


Amos, Grampa Booga, and Grandma Gayle
In memory of Grandma Gayle
July 28, 1932 - December 20, 2002


"Her spirit endures in all that is good" 
- Grandma Gayle's grave marker


Ten years ago, my Grandma Gayle died.  I never knew her, but mom says I would have loved her, and Grandma would have loved me.  Mom says I have a lot of Grandma in me, because I make mom and dad so happy, and because I'm always making people smile.

I think Grandma and I would have been great friends.  Like me, she loved the beach and the river, and she loved being outdoors.  She also LOVED labs.  She always gave Christmas presents to my black lab brother Jake, because she understood that Jake was my parents' furry, four-legged child.

Mom says Grandma made the best crab cakes ever.  She would catch the crabs in her crab pot off the dock, steam them on the deck so they wouldn't make the house smelly, then spend hours picking them.  Mom says now you have to go all the way to Tangier Island to find the only crab cakes that even come close to Grandma's.

Grandma was always doing nice things for others.  She remembered everyone's birthdays.  She baked cookies for the UPS man at Christmas.  She gave strangers rides to their boats, so they wouldn't have to walk carrying groceries all the way from the market to the town dock. 

We like to think that Grandma and Jake are playing on a beach together now, with all of the family's previous labs and boxers.  Amos, who was Booga's beagle when Grandma & Booga got married (see photo above), is in the middle of the melee, howling with joy.

This post is dedicated to Grandma Gayle 
and my black lab brother Jake.  Cancer took them both.


16 comments:

  1. Grandma Gayle sounds like a grreat lady. I bet she and Jake are having a ball! (The crabs not so much. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a beautiful tribute. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    gus n teka

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your grandma was quite the extraordinary woman. I am so glad you shared this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful tribute, Thank you so much!
    Lovies, Miss Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful tribute to grandma. Lovely memories. Of course we paused at the mention of crab cakes. Love to all. Have a terrific Tuesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is something so beautifully heartfelt about your post that it brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful tribute!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grandma Gayle sounds like a lovely lady. So sorry for the loss. Cancer seems to touch everyone in some way. Livestrong and fight for the cure.

    Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grandma Gayle ~ one who was a little spot of sunshine on a cloudy day. How blessed were all who knew her, whose lives she touched.
    And personally speaking, since crab cakes are my #1 favorite ...
    wish we could have had some!!!
    Thank you for a wonderful posting ... woof-woof to Garth, with purrs from Maggy and Zoey.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful tribute to your Grandma. We LiveStrong today and purr and pray for an end to this horrible disease.

    The Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like a wonderful Grandma! Bet she is enjoying her time at the bridge!

    Cancer is horrible - Praying for a cure and end to this horrible disease!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Grandma Gayle sounds like an amazing lady. Such a lovely tribute Garth. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Howdy Garth, that was a beautiful post. Your Grandma sounds so lovely. We send you and your family gentle hugs. Thanks for sharing your story. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post makes me want to cry. I miss my grandma too...she makes the best chocolate cookies.

    Sankissjuice

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful post and tribute.

    Loveys Sasha

    ReplyDelete