Monday, March 26, 2012

Richmond SPCA Dog Jog - my first flash mob!

On Saturday, Willow and I walked with the Caring Canines team in the Richmond SPCA Dog Jog to help raise money for the Richmond SPCA.  It was VERY rainy!!!

We were also part of a super secret flash mob right before the start of the Dog Jog.  When the deejay played "You Make My Dreams Come True" by Hall & Oates, a bunch of people started dancing.  When we got our cue ("Listen to this"), a bunch of dogs started dancing too!  Or, at least, that was the plan.  But just as the group of humans started dancing, it started raining really hard.  It was raining so hard that the rain was getting in my eyes whenever I looked up at mom, so I wouldn't look up at her.  Plus the rain magnified all of the yummy treat smells.  Needless to say, mom couldn't get my attention at all, and I didn't do my part of the dance routine.

The dog part of the flash mob was really quite simple -- speak, speak, up, spin, spin, up, down.  Easy tricks that I know quite well.  We had even rehearsed the night before (who knew that flash mobs have rehearsals?!?), but I just wouldn't do it.  I've decided that I don't do tricks in the rain, period.  Willow didn't want to do tricks either.  We didn't see how the other dogs did, but the dancing humans were so good, they kind of stole the show anyway.  And it was pretty humorous to see a bunch of raincoat and poncho-clad people dancing this perfectly choreographed routine in the pouring rain.

After the flash mob (sorry I have no photos, mom was too busy trying to cajole me into doing tricks), we went to the starting line with the other hardy Caring Canines.  Willow doesn't like standing around -- she was ready to get going.  Finally they said "go" and Willow and her mom took off running.  Mom and I just walked really fast.  We wanted to finish quickly so we could get home and dry as soon as possible!

Dad is such a good sport -- he was ready to pick us up as soon as we crossed the finish line, so two very wet dogs and two very wet women piled into his car for the ride home.  Mom and I were SO soaked!  And my Caring Canines cape was dripping!  It felt SO good to get inside the house and get toweled off!  We spent the rest of the day curled up on the couch! 

Part of the Caring Canines team at the start of the Dog Jog
The starting line
Willow is eager to get started
Me in my sodden cape
Checking the starting line for treats
Ah, the smell of wet pavement!
Waiting for the Dog Jog to begin
Approaching the finish line



A wet Willow on the way home

 Willow and I shared the backseat on the ride home,
but mom sat between us (that's why I look so sad)
I find wet flash mobs to be exhausting

Well you hell yeah you make my dreams come true (you you you you) oh yeah!

6 comments:

  1. A flash mob? I love it! I don't blame you for not wanting to dance in the rain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! But no worries about a little rain for a labradoink, right?

    Slobbers,
    Mango

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and Miss Willow are both most stalwart dogs. Even Miss Teka insisted we cut one walkie short that day! Hope the next flash mob goes smoother.

    gussie

    ReplyDelete
  4. A flash mob sounds like fun! Maybe you could try again on some dry day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, Garth, that sounds like a really WET time!! :-) But still fun & an adventure all the same! I'm with you - I won't do tricks in the rain either..."dancing in the rain"?? No way!! :-)

    Slobbers,
    Honey the Great Dane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bummer it was raining! I bet you would have danced super if it wasn't. Still you are a great sport for helping other doggies in that weather!

    ReplyDelete