Sunday, June 24, 2012

MORE Sunday Sunshine!!!

My new friend Gemma just gave me the Sunshine Award! 


THANK YOU GEMMA
She said she gave it to me because my blog makes her smile! That means I'm accomplishing what I set out to do with my blog, so that makes me very happy. I hope it makes you smile too.

Me, smiling
There are three rules for the Sunshine Award:
1. Answer 7 questions
2. Pass it on to ten people
3. Let them know they received the award


Most of you know my mom as my hiking companion and bumbling IT staff, but there's actually much more to her. So I thought I should give mom & dad a chance to tell you a bit about themselves. This time, they get to answer the questions.


1. What is your favorite number?
Mom: I hate numbers. Words are my thing.
Dad: Eleventy-seven (he insists that really is a number)


2. What is your favorite nonalcoholic beverage?
Mom: James River water (treated), diet Coke
Dad: You mean there ARE non-alcoholic beverages?


3. Facebook or Twitter?
Mom: It's taken me years to figure out Facebook. Please don't make me do Twitter.
Dad: Neither. This new-fangled stuff scares me.


4. What is your passion?
Mom: Garth, Garth's dad, writing, hiking, the ocean, the mountains, the Keys, beading, wire working, making things with polymer clay & other materials
Dad: Garth, Garth's mom, brown polyester


Me on the beach at Hilton Head, South Carolina
November 2009
5. What is your favorite pattern?
Mom: tie-dye
Dad: brown polyester


6. What is your favorite day of the week?
Mom & Dad: Saturday


7. What is your favorite flower?
Mom & Dad: Daffodils
Mom: Columbine, daisies, bachelor's buttons, irises, day lilies, all kinds of orchids


My dad's prize daffodils -- which he secretly planted last fall.
Mom didn't know until they started coming up this spring.

Mom grew this columbine from seed she collected
at dad's grandma's house in Rhode Island,

after his grandma had died.  It blooms every year
and has made lots of baby columbine plants.

Now I have to pass on the award to ten other blogs. This may not quite be ten.  I don't know if I can count that high.  This is the difficult part because there are SO MANY wonderful blogs I enjoy. So I tried to list newer blogs or those with fewer comments and/or followers, to introduce my other friends to them.


Sheba - My Dog Sheba's Life Story
Jesse at Berner Tails
My Girlz Got Paws (Gracie and Schatzie)
Hades the Golden Retriever
Loveable Lilly (& Muffin)
Lincoln the Great Dane
Go With Gus
Jacobi, The Dog Who Doesn't Fetch
Puppy Momma
This may be totally against the rules because this is not a dog, cat, or other creature's blog, and my Sri Lanka fan club may not fully appreciate the honor bestowed upon them, but I'm listing Lanka Log because I think some of my friends may enjoy reading about life as an American living in Sri Lanka -- my mom sure does.



I really enjoy blog awards because I think they are fun and a great way to get to know other bloggers.  However, I know they can be time-consuming and some of us don't have full time staff.  So we understand completely if you don't have the time or inclination to pass on the award.  We won't stop enjoying your blog!


STAY TUNED FOR INFORMATION ABOUT GARTH RILEY'S FIRST EVER SILLY PHOTO CONTEST!  
I will be posting contest info either this evening or tomorrow!




11 comments:

  1. Silly photo contest!! Awesome! Congrats I'm the award!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're assuming that their passions are in order of importance, right?

    Sam and Pippen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Garth.

    Congratulations on your award your blog always brings sunshine.
    I got a very big surprise when i got further down the list and found out you were going to pass your award onto me. It is very much appreciated. Thank you very much.

    Your pal Sheba.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the award. It's very much appreciated.

    Your pal Sheba.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! We always like learning something new about our blogging friends!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. CONGRATS on the award!! Like Sam, I always enjoy when awards are given because you get to learn something about the blogger and their family that you may not otherwise, AND you get to meet some of their friends too!

    I hope you've had a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I am really confused! Do I have to answer the seven questions? Can I use "eleventy-seven" as my favorite number? What if I only know of two other blogs and not ten? When do I get my framed and autographed photo of Garth on the beach?

    Thank you for awarding me a little bit of sunshine! (Although it's not like we don't get enough of it here!)

    Tine
    aka LankaLogger

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your award, Garth. We loved your Mom and Dad's answers to question #4 - you got yourself a great family there.

    Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your award, Garth. We loved your Mom and Dad's answer to question #4 - you found yourself an awesome family there.

    Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on getting your award, Garth!

    Love how your daddy has a green thumb. I was laughing at the 11-ty-7. I believe it's a number.

    Huggies and Cheese,

    Haopee

    ReplyDelete